-----------------
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:00:32 -0800
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

I don't hate carbs. I've come to realize carbs are totally fine when you
only ask them to do simple tasks, like on the 195.6. No fancy
multi-staging, no progressive linkages, no smog compensation, maybe an
automatic choke. And you stay on top of it. Then they're fine.

ALl the carbs I had trouble with, ever, were the later jobs with all the
finicky smog stuff or performance carbs that need tons of tweaking. (Not
because they are not good; but because you are trying to make them work
over a much wider range of values.)

I don't even think the Howell kit will get me better mileage than a
well-tweaked 1 bbl Carter YF. But it'll be more like a perfectly tweaked
Performer carb that I never have to change power valves on, turn screws
on, and it will work at altitude too.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"