[Amc-list] Super Long Intake Duration Cam ???

[Amc-list] Super Long Intake Duration Cam ???

---Yeah, I conjured up -- in my head, never, ever, to build -- what it
would take to to variable valve timing on my AMC six (V8, same).
Basically if you could make hydraulic lifters with an extra port on the
side, and put an orfice in the block, with a solenoid that unplugs that
port, you could END lift cycles early... and so with a wacko cam with an
extended peak, you could vary valve duration in a way you could
retrofit. The lifters would have to tolerate collapsing, and their oil
supply wouldhave to be able to pump them up ASAP. Tall order.---

hey tom, wouldnt that be like "quick bleed lifters?" i thought at lower rpms, they would bleed off the pumped up oil in them, so in effect take up some of the lift. at higher rpms, theres not enough time for them to bleed off, so in the same effect, its like them having higher lift. maybe im WAY off on understanding just what they do exactly.

as for the solenoid controling the lifters, you would need one for each lifter. i dont understand how it would work with one solenoid at the end of the orfice controlling all the lifters when you got 12 (I6) or 16 (v8). the dodges i think it is use them in their variable displacement system or what ever they call it. that thing that shuts off some cylinders when not needed.

cool thought tho. how exactly does that variable valve timing work in them dam ricer hondas. them punks talk all about them and think they are just all that. vtec or what ever they call them. pulled one for one guy, he didnt get the motor back in time, so i sold it. wasnt happy, but never contacted me about it, so 3 months later, i wanted it gone, so it was gone.

dave stohler
my rambler pics@
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules