Re: [Amc-list] Super Long Intake Duration Cam ???

Re: [Amc-list] Super Long Intake Duration Cam ???

I haven't heard of such a cam, and frankly, I don't believe it could
work...

The relationships between cam timing, duration, and rpm are reasonably
well understood, and the cold fact is that there is no one grind
that's best for both low rpm and high rpm operation.  That's the whole
reason that modern high performance motors are using variable timing
on the intake and exhaust cams.   Reduce the compromise, for the best
of both ranges...

Cheers,  Dave
-----------------------------

There was an interesting paragraph that briefly discussed how they had
some custom camshafts ground, which increased the intake duration ?
way through the compression stroke, basically making an 8:1 engine act
like a 16:1.? The torque curve would keep climbing way up past 4,000
RPM and at higher RPMs the engine had almost a ram effect to it (self-
supercharging).? On a 350 motor they did this to, the mileage
increased from 16 to 23 MPG and the power increase was amazing.? The
carb company (somewhat like a co-op) had the cams custom ground by
either Crane or Comp Cams, I think ? but since they were more like a
co-op, they stopped promoting it because they were getting inundated
with phone calls asking how to set up their engines for such a cam,
instead of being able to focus on producing the Fish carburetors (from
1983-1996).