Re: [Amc-list] Classic gas tank leak

Frank Swygert wrote:

 > No readily available sealer will
> resist the constant splashing of gasoline for more than 2-3 months --
> I tried that before!

Gasoline eats nearly everything!

When I re-did the tank on the 63 American -- it was fairly rotten inside
-- I cut 5" holes for access for cleaning, then screwed and epoxied 7"
circular patches over the holes. That gave it physical strength.

THEN I used two gas tank sealer kits (I forget which one, but it wasn't
cheap!) to keep gasoline off all the protruding hardware, epoxy and
such. It's been a year and no crap in the filter bowl (I've got one of
those glass bowls on the fuel pump).

Funny (not really) it has a tiny seep now -- but not at my work! The
AMerican tank has a drain plug, a big flat-headed bolt with a socket
head. I took that out when I cleaned it, and when I reassembled it, I
cleaned it good, made a new gasket for it out of thin copper, and used a
bit of Indian Head sealant. Now it's got a faint seep.

I don't recall if I installed the drain plug before or after I sealed
it. The plug is tight, and I'm not taking it out! I'm gonna clean it
good and smear gas tank sealer around the copper gasket from outside.
It's all not rusty, and painted with Eastwood Chassis Black, which, by
the way, seems unaffected by gasoline.