Re: [Amc-list] Classic gas tank leak

I made my entire tank, but yes, I welded up the filler. I cut the hole with a hole saw then inserted a piece of exhaust tubing bent the right way. I bought a pre-bent 90° curve (I think it was 2" pipe) and welded it in. On the Classic the inlet tube goes into the bottom of the tank. You have to have a vent near the top or it will spit back at you. Easy enough to weld a piece of 1/2" tubing near the top and use the original vent hose (again, I think it's 1/2", might be 3/8", you'll have to check yours!). The original filler can be cut out and a piece of sheet metal screwed or welded over the hole. I also melted solder over the welds to fill any possible pin holes in the MIG welds. You can use the gas tank leak repair putty bars and do the same. If you screw it over you have to use the putty under the screws and around the hole as a sealer. No readily available sealer will resist the constant splashing of gasoline for more than 2-3 months -- I tried that before! I now have a bit of aircraft "wet wing" gas tank sealer from a friend who works at a small airport to seal a seam leak. It's a design flaw -- the entire top of may tank screws on since it had to be a separate piece anyway, and sealing it has been problematic -- JB Weld didn't even hold more than a few months! It's only a problem if I get much over 1/2 tank, but the tank will come out eventually and get sealed. Have a house addition that has to be dried in first! I was telling my friend I was going to pull the tank, wash it out, let it dry (that's the good thing about the whole top coming off!), then screw it back on and sweat solder the seams. He told me he could get enough left-over aircraft tank sealer, so I'm going to try that instead.

---------------------
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 20:53:12 -0500
From: mask1966@xxxxxxx

Thanks, Frank,

You jogged my memory with your answer; I have a used '66 mustang tank (no good) to use as a mockup for an under-bed tank for my '65 Chevy 1/2 ton.?I think I will slide it under the Classic and compare the two tanks. Did you say you welded up the new filler yourself? I guess a good radiator shop could do it, you think? Now to find the Mustang tank!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"