Re: [Amc-list] Pacer Front End

Great answer, Frank!  LOL  I know we all hear the stories about our AMC's being made of everyone elses throwaway parts.  My question was based on a couple of things... One; I know very little about the Pacer, in general... Two, AFAIK, the engine was supposed to be a GM version of a rotory, so it didn't seem all that far fetched that they would be furnishing some kind of front end gear.

I know absolutely squat about Chevy's, Novas, or the rest of the GM line.  I owned ONE '67 Chevy Bel Aire wagon, and somehow happened upon a '64 El Camino for a short time, but that was it in the car department.  I never cared for the 'sound' of a GM car when driving it.  They always felt and sounded like they were not well insulated, and were about to fall apart.  I'm sure I was wrong about those feelings, but none of them ever had the solid feel of my Dad's Classics, or his 57 Ford Custom 300.  Even his 62 Falcon seemed a better car than those mentioned.

For a positive note about the quality of AMC parts, I had to replace the starter in my '65 Marlin last month.  Had to remove the exhaust manifold to do it, but the thing lasted 43 years, and 107 miles!  The shop that rebuilt it verified the internal parts were all original.  Sure, it was a Delco, but it was a GOOD PART!  Rolls Royce has used other manufacturers parts for most of their existance, but we never hear anyone slam an RR, do we?

I think Mark and Frank were dead on with their annalogies of the comments made by the car show guru.... he heard from someone who "knew", and he had experience with some Nova/Camaro parts, and the two melded together made good sence to him, therefore a good story.

I thank all who gave input on this one to clear that up.  I, for one, always liked the Pacer, and hate hearing it get any kind of bad rap, especially from those who never owned an AMC in the first place.  Perhaps I should just be satisfied that someone's including AMC in a conversation, right or wrong, and go on with it.