[Amc-list] leaky Nash head

Frank Swygert wrote:
> Bruce, just what kind of sealer are you using on the head gasket? Sounds like you are using the Permatex Copper from a tube.. a silicone type product. What you should be using is the spray on copper or aluminum sealant. The spray on is like a thick spray paint and is easiest to get/use. Just spray enough to lightly cover the gasket on both sides, thats' all -- shouldn't be dripping or running, though a few drips or runs won't hurt. Permatex makes a copper spray -- Item # 80697, part #101MA. If you used the silicone based stuff that's the problem! You'll need a new head gasket...

Oh yeah, silicone is NFG here! You need the old smelly solvent stuff!

Frank, how do you apply the spray on head and deck though? Doesn't it go
all over the piston and valves'n'stuff? Good for the gasket though!

In fact, if silicone was used, I'd go ultra-uber-paranoid getting that
crap off the metal surfaces!! MEK and toluol and clean rags! A good seal
is worth a few brain cells.