Re: [Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
:

> > I had the external turned in a lathe to form a lip about a 1/4" on one side.
> Then tapped it in till it seated against the lip. I used bearing loctite.
>

> Ooh clever. What problem were you solving? Spacer plate or short trans
> shaft?

The later model 4.0L has a big hole in the end of the crank. Late in the assembly I found this out and needed to get the thing together without ordering the adpater from a dealer and waiting on it. So, I found the pilot bushing that matched up to the AMC'sinput diameter, then figured out it was too small for the big hole and too big for smaller hole in the crank. Si I mocked it all up and figured the step design would allow just enough engagement of the input into the pilot bushing.
   I kind of wonder if it has not worked loose and is what creates the squeal or if the input is not into the bushing far enough and is worn and causes the noise.
   With any luck I will know in the spring when I swap in the world class close ratio and the stroker, unless I change my mind :]
--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV