Re: [Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic

Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " The 1967 199 should bolt up to the 1962 bell housing, which means I can
> " retain the rear mounts as are already in place.
>
> iirc dowel pins are smaller on the 199/232/258 than the 196, so you'll
> need to come up with some little bushings to index the bell properly.
> not tough, just a detail to get right.

Its' been a loooong time, but I bolted a 1970 232 to a 1963 T-96. The
T-96 was original, mated to a 195.6 at the factory.

> " I should be able to use the 1962 flywheel and clutch internals...or would I
> " need to use the 1967 flywheel?
>
> from what i've heard, the flywheels are the same except the later one
> has a 10.5" clutch pattern as well as the 9" one.
>
> 9" clutch parts are the same, well up into the '70s.

I have two flywheels, one drilled only for an 8" clutch (1963 American),
the other for only a 9" clutch (1969 232, I forget car). Same OD and
teeth so the same starter would work if it bolts to the block in the
same place. Both fit onto a 1959 195.6OHV, so with some confidence I'd
say that the 1962 flywheel will bolt onto ANY Nash six (172, 184, 195.6
flat or ohv) or any AMC six up through 1971! The flywheel center portion
that bolts to the crank is the Nash pattern, AMC kept it up through 71.

(Actually, the 72-up six crank butt looks the same... is it? Not that
it's of practical knowledge...)