Re: [Amc-list] Carb adjustments - Holley 1909 one barrel

Re: [Amc-list] Carb adjustments - Holley 1909 one barrel

" From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>
"
"
" Mobil 1 has a huge
" amount of detergent in it and is probably why your oil is so dark. That
" will clear up after a few oil changes but I would not use a synthetic
" oil on your motor until you rebuild it. The reason for that is it will
" clean up all of the sludge that is preventing oil leaks. BTW, you'll
" need to change the oil using normal intervals until it clears up if you
" stick with a full synthetic.

some types of synthetic - diester, which mobil 1 was in the beginning
at least - are naturally detergent, so they might be counted as 'all
detergent'.

i've heard the same argument about sludge and leaks against using an
oil flush, but when i tried 'gunk' brand the first time - on an 15
year old ex-fleet american with 4000 miles showing - my oil
consumption went -down-, significantly.  it pulled a ton o' sludge out
of the engine too.