-------------
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:54:48 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

So I got out the red-white-blue book (that book of yours is very handy)
and looked up the block, and that head I got from the yard.

Neither are in there!

THe head has 3167960, cast in, near valve springs, front couple of
cylinders. Part or casting number? It's definitely 195.6 OHV, and it
came out of a 63 (or was it 64) Classic. It was rebuilt "recently"
however, so it's lineage is unknown.

THe block, the boss on the left (passenger) side has NEVER been stamped
or milled. None of the flat bosses over there were milled, rough cast.
There's a matching boss on the right, very front of the block -- but it
was ground off, you can see the marks. This shortblock came from a
rebuilder so that should not be a surprise.

But this casting number is also not in the book! 3160133.

The foundry marker thingie is

                CWC
                 4
             (8)         (the clock arrow points at 8).

THat's consistent with 1958 (or 1948!  :-)

No reason to think it's other than 195.6 (eg 172...) but I spoze I
should check!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"