Re: [Amc-list] Carb adjustments - Holley 1909 one barrel

Bruce Griffis wrote:

> I spoke too soon. Plugs seemed dry when I was just idling the car.
> Today I took it out for a good 30-40 minutes on varied roads - from 25
> to 55MPH. It started running rougher and rougher. I took the spark
> plugs out, and the number one and number three where both black (shiny
> black) and a little wet.

Was it wet with gas (stinks bad; dries itself off) or oil (stays wet
forever)?

> I'm thinking: pull the plug to the number one cylinder, see if it
> effects idle. Do the same with number three (or both? I don't know).
> Check compression again, see if it's changed. Pop on the vacuum gauge
> and see if that has changed.

If the plugs are wet with FUEL, find and fix that ASAP.

If the plug(s) are wet with OIL, OK, then check compression etc.

With badly wet plugs, it won't idle right etc so don't chase multiple
symptoms, you'll go crazy with the infinite interlinked branching
possibilities...

Oil or fuel on the plugs?

Did you lay out all six plugs? Are they the same more or less?