Re: [Amc-list] Carb adjustments - Holley 1909 one barrel

Re: [Amc-list] Carb adjustments - Holley 1909 one barrel

On the oil: I changed it after putting the rebuilt head on, but before
replacing the fuel pump. It looked really nice for a short while, and
now has a bad smell. I'm guessing gas as the level went up a little as
well. So, I'll change it to be safe. It's now at the proper level, so
I either leaked a lot (which I did, out the valve cover gasket and the
access plate gasket) or burned a lot (maybe so - as the smoke is
mighty blue!).

Anyway, I ran synth for a very short time. My problems are probably
related to a bad fuel pump instead of the synth - but it's going in
the morning.

Vacuum lines: I ran from intake to the fuel pump then to the wipers. I
ran 'em one way and the wipers didn't work at all. Swapped 'em at the
fuel pump and the wipers work if I give them a push. They did work
fine off a line directly from the intake manifold - and I'm getting
around 19-21 pounds of pressure there if I remember correctly. I'll
test on the line going from the fuel line/vacuum booster to the wipers
to see what I'm getting there.

Plugs are dry but very sooty. I cleaned 'em a bit. I'm thinking of
replacing them and saving them for spares. Just in case I didn't clean
them well enough and am not getting a good enough spark. Probably
don't have to do that - but I should keep some spare plugs and a rotor
in the car, so might as well start on the spares kit (I shoulda
measured the fan belt, darn it! I need a spare fan belt as well.)

My oldest son and I pulled the carb off and checked it out. My middle
son did a good job of cleaning it and reassembling it. We checked the
needle and where it seats. We checked the whole carb out and cleaned
the choke assembly (now I know what you guys mean! That was pretty
gunked up!). I don't see anything obviously dirty or fouled - other
than the choke assembly - and we took care of that. I'm not sure why
it appeared wet around the base previously, unless I leaked some from
the fuel line - or the needle was having issues and taking the car
apart, cleaning and putting it together again helped resolve that.

While going over it - we saw that is does not have a dashpot. Does it
need one? It ran okay without one for the first 600 miles we put on it
(or we didn't notice any problems with everything else going on).

Anyway - our plan for tomorrow is to change the oil. Replace the spark
plugs. Run the car for a while.