[Amc-list] that NOS rebuild 195.6OHV...

Finally got that motor onto the stand and a kiloton of crap moved out of
the lab. I was told that it was a '58 195.6 OHV. (Hmm, I didn't measure
the bore, even yet...) Finally got to look at the bottom end -- it's
fine, no rust at all. Cosmoline'd (likely something else, but whatever)
and shiny metal. Whew! The oil pickup was wired to the crank, surprise.

I haven't, and won't, turned it over. I'll just disassemble. THe block
is full of dust, so I have to clean it, I will probably just drop it off
for a new boilout and install new freeze plugs etc.

So I got out the red-white-blue book (that book of yours is very handy)
and looked up the block, and that head I got from the yard.

Neither are in there!

THe head has 3167960, cast in, near valve springs, front couple of
cylinders. Part or casting number? It's definitely 195.6 OHV, and it
came out of a 63 (or was it 64) Classic. It was rebuilt "recently"
however, so it's lineage is unknown.

THe block, the boss on the left (passenger) side has NEVER been stamped
or milled. None of the flat bosses over there were milled, rough cast.
There's a matching boss on the right, very front of the block -- but it
was ground off, you can see the marks. This shortblock came from a
rebuilder so that should not be a surprise.

But this casting number is also not in the book! 3160133.

The foundry marker thingie is

                CWC
                 4
             (8)         (the clock arrow points at 8).

THat's consistent with 1958 (or 1948! :-)

No reason to think it's other than 195.6 (eg 172...) but I spoze I
should check!