Re: [Amc-list] 195.6OHV "full flow" oil -- to the head

Frank Swygert wrote:
> You're forgetting that in 63 AMC did just that! They controlled oil
> flow to the head through the first cam bearing, and ran a line from
> the main galley straight to the filter. Apparently the T controlled
> flow to the head somewhat. The way the T is in the head there should
> be roughly a 50/50 split in oil delivery, assuming a good flow
> through the filter. As You noted, once the filter is clogged, or
> rather once it gets dirty enough to affect flow (50% clogged?) more
> oil would go to the head.

Yeah, the volume would go way up! In THIS motor, what is the downside to
that I wonder? The rockers can't care. Might even help cooling. It's not
like it's stealing oil from anywhere; it'll be the same amount of oil
out of the pump up that skinny line.

It could be that it's not so much bad for the engine, as bad for AMC,
service-wise (leaky valve covers, plugged filter dries up the valve
train, etc). More than "enough" oil is a waste and tempting service fate(s).

? Too much oil to the valve train
? double the oil filtration rate

So what ARE the downsides to too much oil in the head? I've read Smokey
Yunick's thoughts on this, but the circumstances here are totally
different -- 3500 rpm is as fast as this motor's spun in a year, except
once when I missed a shift and it went near 4000 (scary).

 > The front cam bearing journal on a 63+ has a groove or
> flat in it (don't recall which) that only allows oil to pass through
> when that specific area uncovers a hole in the side of the block. An
> earlier block can possibly be made to work with the later cam --
> simply drill through the side into the front cam bearing cavity at
> the appropriate position (check a cam for that!) then tap it for a
> line.

I will have to be very careful with this in my '59 motor. I have a '63
head sitting on it (in the shop). I may be bugging you when the time
comes!!!

(I still wanna get the motor on the stand today. It's still on it's
shipping pallet.)