------------
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:00:05 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

It just occurred to me -- I see no reason to replumb the oil filter on
this motor to filter all of the oil going to the head (valves). Instead
of teeing it, with half to the filter and half to the head. (Well who
knows what the proportion actually is; there's no control over it. Clean
filter: low flow to valves. Plugged filter: all oil to the valves.)

All I can think of, was back in that day oil filters were new-fangled
things for sissies, and Nash assumed that it would occasionally be fully
plugged, and bypass is good enough anyways.

But who today doesn't change the oil and filter often on an antique motor?!

Can anyone come up with a reason I shouldn't run ALL the valve oil
through the filter?! Another R.M. hack -- cost is about 3 feet of 1/8"
brake line! And I get to sell the brass tee on eBay to recover my cost  :-)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"