Re: [Amc-list] modern six in an old-six hole

Speaking of the Ford six, today while junkyarding for minor accessories for my buddy's '63 Scout with Ford 250 transplant, I found a collection of motors to check out. Ford 300/240 with the carb/intake on either side of the head and a 250 with non-integral head (1975 Mustang II) and another integral head one ('7? Comet) plus a 200 (we have to score the passing gear assembly from that one) in an '82 Mustang.
   I discovered that the 250 has the starter mounted below the crankshaft line while the 200/170 has it above (mounted into the bellhousing between the crankshaft line and the vertical block)

From: Frank Swygert
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] modern six in an old-six hole
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I know of one person who said they did it, but never got any pics. Took the heater out and recessed the firewall nearly to the dash. Wouldn't want to change #6 sparker!! Must have an access panel under the dash for that... would be worse than a Pacer!

The only "modern" engine that readily fits with little work is a Ford 200/250 six (not to be confused with the much longer/heavier 240/300). Even fours are tight because of the intake manifold, but you might be able to make an intake and make an AMC/Jeep 2.5L (or other four) fit. I have helped fit an early Pinto engine in one, and it was close but did fit. I'm pretty sure the "hump" was partially cut/bent in on the left side, don't quite recall now. A 60 degree V-6 seems a natural, and will work, but you need to spend a few hundred on "hot rod" accessory brackets, as all the stock ones spread way out on each side of the engine, taking up a lot of room you don't have.