Re: [Amc-list] Early 80's 4-cyl bellhousing

My '86 Comanche with high mileage (@200,000 at the time) AMC 2.5L Renix TBI,AX-5, .70 O/D converted to 4x4 with 4.10 axles rolled across the scale at the WA/OR border in '02 on my way to Ouray, CO had 6,000 lbs gross weight (3 adults, a canopy, jugs of water and spare gas, camping gear and spare parts, tools and 3 spare tires) and we cruised up to 70 mph most of the way. I had to drop to 3rd gear only on the longest steepest stretch. That was on 235/75/15 BFG T/As.

From: Frank Swygert
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Early 80's 4-cyl bellhousing
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, the 2.5L was paired with a T-5, but the trans and rear axle gearing were set up for it also. Anyone who had one will probably tell you fifth gear was useless unless you were on the interstate running 60+ with a light load and in pretty level terrain. I've driven a couple late 70s/early 80s cars/trucks with small engines and five speeds. In a rural area, especially with hills, you never use fourth gear, and don't use it a whole lot on the freeway -- almost always have to gear down to maintain speed up grades of any inclination or length.

I've driven OD cars too. I agree -- the 199 can handle pull an OD by 45 mph (not much before though!) with a 3.08 gear, but it would likely get better mileage in most areas with more gear. I went from a 3.08 behind my 4.6L with AW-4 (0.70:1 OD -- same as the old BW units) to a 3.55 gear and gained 2 mpg on the highway. The engine would easily pull the OD gear, but rpm were under 2000 around 65-70 and the engine was working harder. Not struggling by any means, but obviously working harder. I checked my mileage on a long trip -- from Gulfport MS to Kenosha in 2002 -- with the 3.08 gears and was sorely disappointed. When I rebuilt the car (it was wrecked just a couple days after the trip) I wanted 3.31 gears but ended up with 3.55 by "mistake" (bought a used set, seller couldn't do math or just wanted to sell!). I was happy once I checked mileage on trip from Gulfport to SC and back and got 2 mpg more. Not sure if 3.31 would be better or not, but surely couldn't be more than 1 m
 pg better on the highway, and I do like the pickup with the 3.55s!