Re: [Amc-list] Mid 80s Jeep A/C

From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I was wasting time this afternoon and found myself wandering about on ebay.
> I saw a photo of a 84 Jeep 360 engine from a Grand Wagoneer that is up for
> auction.
> item number is  250308037213
>
> I noticed what appears to be a very small and compact A/C compresser on this
> engine.
> Can anyone tell me mor eabout this set up??

As Tom said, that's your Sanden!

> Who is the manufacturer of the compresser?

Uh, Sanden!

> Is it as good or comparable to a sanden?
Yes!

>low hp use and no vibration?
Yes!

> Good for R134a refrigerant??
Yes!

> I was thinking if I can track down the brackets and idler from a mid 80s
> Jeep V-8 and get a good compresser from
> somewhere, my installation may appear a bit more modern.
>
> Your thoughts??
Yer 100% correct, That is the accesory package your looking for to go with a Sanden.
I'd concentrate on detailing and getting all your interior pieces ready for use. While doing all that keep an eye out for an 80-91ish Grand Cherokee with V8 and A/C. You have all winter to shop for those pieces.  If you find a complete package you may get lucky and not need to find a new compressor. The sandens seem to hold up pretty well. That era of Jeep brakcets may take the more generic ones too though and a new one may bolt right up.
   There are some good threads floating around on how other people did retrofits on many different vehicles, lots of tips etc;  While you may not need it, you may want to investigate a replacement expansion valve for your evap unit.
   As far as I know there is no real way to test them effectively. Having to tear it all back out to replace it would be a PIA.  Expansion valves usually hold up pretty well too, but they can give you some quirky things like not cooling well etc;  I'd try the expansion valve if I could not get a new one or if the new one was incredibly high priced. I don't have any idea of what one would cost for a 70 Javelin though!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV