Re: [Amc-list] modern six in an old-six hole

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> All of that sounds like a real good plan!
> Don't forget to grind tha volcano off the crank !

Yeah, I think I'll put the 195.6 shortblock onto the engine stand this
weekend and stare at it better. Before I do I will see what needs to get
a flywheel on it. I have all the parts; flywheel, old (worn) clutch, th
shim plate thing, bells, a T14, and even some clutch linkage parts. I
can mock the whole thing up on the floor!

I spoze I should shop around for a cheap non-WC T-5 "now". I assume the
non-WC will be easier to find and cheaper? I'd settle for T-4. I wish
there was a 4 speed side-shifter with the T-14/T-96 front pattern...
otherwise I have to buy (R.M....) the Pony adapter.

> You have your head nice and fresh, or did you do the 232? Oh, yeah, you had that one done durnign the gas crisis!

I did both this year, 195.6OHV head and 232 head. Both were done with
used parts, so they were not top-notch, just stock rebuilds.

I have another 195.OHV head that came off a blown up motor. It was
relatively recently rebuilt. It's ncie enoguh to bolt on as-is! But
it'll come apart and depending on cash and timing, I will make it
top-notch. but maybe I'll just be a lazy SOB and bolt ont he head I'm
driving

> So with the head and all done you can freshen everything in that block and do a swap over. Give you a chance to see if that clutch noise is anything to worry about too!

The clutch noise totally went away the 2nd day after. It must have been
crap blown in with the power washer.

>    I got some cabling to do and I'm going to do a similar thing with my stroker.
> Get the block cleaned up and inspect it good. Then I'll go ahead assemble the shortblock.
> I'll have it ready to go in something as soon as I figureout what!  The assembled shortblock will take up less room than the parts do.

Good point on the space issue!! Yeah, winter is time to stack metal
parts into engines!

>     Once I get my houshold chores done I can get that T5 together and look into exactly how I want to go about getting it all into the American.
>     all of this hinges around how much my shoulder will allow me to do.

If you get the chance, put a tape measure to the T-5, mounting face to
shifter center...

Good luck with the shoulder! Is it one of those worse-in-the-winter things?