Re: [Amc-list] Carb adjustments - Holley 1909 one barrel

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> I pulled all plugs before my conference call. They are all dry (yay!)
> but black black black. So, I'm running rich.

OK, non-fatal, move on, nothing to see... :-)

There's no wayt the idle mixture screw is doing that, even unscrewed all
the way.  If you run it at 1000 - 2000 rpm the idle circuit isn't doin
much anyways, then it ought to run fine.

New fuel pump -- maybe the old one was leaky, had low pressure, and your
carb needle and seat can't stand normal (new) pressure?

With the aircleaner off, engine warm and idling, you should not see or
smell any gas. If there's wet gas anywhere there's a problem. If it
worked before, it could be just needle and seat, easy to change, but
implyin you probably need a carb renew.

OR -- doing the work dislodged crud in the old fuel line and it's
sticking the needle open. My 195.6 relies on the filter in the glass
bowl but I added an inline steel job before the pump itself (theere was
rubber line there so it was easiest).

If you don't have a fuel filter added -- I would, on an old car with old
tank and old lines -- do so. If the carb is wet, you might just take the
top off (RTFM Holley 190x) and see if there's crud in the bowl. If so,
siphon it all out with a clean rag, take out the needle and seat and
clean, and that might be all it needs.