Re: [Amc-list] Early 80's 4-cyl bellhousing

Re: [Amc-list] Early 80's 4-cyl bellhousing

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" BAD IDEA!! That little four (a 2.5L GM "Iron Duke" in your case)
" doesn't have the torque to pull an OD. It probably doesn't have enough
" to pull an OD five speed either. The OD gear in most five speeds is
" similar to that of the old ODs, so if you do go this route do yourself
" a favor and find a T-5. In either case you'll need a lower rear axle
" ratio to pull the OD.

but...  the s10/blazer, which must be similar in weight, paired the
iron duke with t5s...

" A common misconception is that OD adds a higher gear -- it does just
" the opposite. Check the books for any old car with a three speed and
" OD and you'll find that it used a much lower rear axle ratio than a
" car with a standard three speed. OD reduces rpm in a street/strip car
" that's set up to run on the strip without using OD, that's why people
" think it's such a great thing! That's not the case in a pretty much
" factory stock car though.

not always true.  standard axle in a late '60s american with 199/t96
was 3.08, but o/d could also be had with 3.08.  okay, this is a notch
lower than the optional 2.73 without...  but even with the 3.08, o/d
was set to engage at 38 mph!  from my own experience, the 199 is
definitely ready by 45.

from my limited data, in the late '60s o/d axles were only one notch
lower than without.