Re: [Amc-list] Strut rod eliminators

Armand Eshleman wrote:

 > Wouldn't
> the rubber in the upper arm and lower arm mounts to the chassis still take
> up a lot of the road shock?

There's not a lot of rubber in those places! Some minor misalignment and
  high-frequency vibration isolation.

 > It isn't the strut rod bushings that take all of
> this shock. I think this guy has it correct. Less bump steer equals less
> driving fatigue.

The strut bush takes curb-whack or pothole energy that would break
things. I think that the strut "gettin shorter" when the bush compresses
causes toe change -- toe IN -- the steering linkage stays the same
width, but as the lower arm arcs backwards the distance from the
balljoint to the frame *shortens* a tiny bit. I bet AMC thought of this
too; the steering linkage (tie rod ends etc) and the lower arm remain
nearly perfectly parallel, causing little toe change.

Bump steer, I think, is the name only for the geometry change caused by
the steering linkage not being parallel to, and in the same plane with,
the A-arms (real and virtual). Maybe it applies to the forces in other
directions.

But for us non-racers, the main thing the strut bushing does, besides
pivot, is keep us from crackin things when we whack a curb or pothole.

Do we have and road race chassis people here? I'm sure no expert.