Re: [Amc-list] We burned our fair share of 87 today, woohoo!!!

Frank Swygert wrote:
> I put a rubber line on my 63 American after using the original metal
> line into the early 90s. Went to a show one year near Dayton from
> Warner Robins, GA, and the thing started vapor locking after 30
> years!! Never had a problem in Idaho, Seattle, SC or anywhere
> between, but that summer in Ohio it started vapor locking.

Isn't it weird how things like that happen? Fine for 20 years... until
one day...! Couldalso be gasoline formulations. I swear, they've gotten
weird. Thin (viscosity) as alcohol but high surface tension? Don't those
two go in opposite directions?

> The sound coming from the trans cover is worrisome

Bruce has a T-96 (see? I can remember some things! :-) but -- where the
h### is that noise coming from? Better ID it!

My father used an old timers trick, you get a big long screwdriver or
something like it, place one end on the bone BEHIND your ear, then touch
the other end to the engine in various place. He could identify which
cylinder had a sticking valve or other problem by comparing against each
other.

I've used a 3 foot section of fuel line, one end in my ear, the other
end as a probe. You can listen for exhaust leaks etc, or hear noise
coming out of a side cover that's missing a chunk of gasket....

My Classic wagon has a small rattle in the tailpipe... where a 9/16"
socket fell riiiiight down the hole! Oh well!