Re: [Amc-list] Darn fuel line, anyway, ...

I do a practice bend with a coat hanger or wire to fit then match the tube to the wire.

From: Tom Jennings
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Darn fuel line, anyway, ...
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."

Bending tight radii (just couldn't write radiuses :-) is a pain, plus it
is hard to visualize some of the twists and turns, anyone can get
dyslexic with all the flips and flops! Especially when upside down...

I had no real troubles doing the fuel lines under the Classic wagon.
It's 5/16" tubing, the bends are mostly shallow, and overall mostly
straight, and slight aesthetic errors, well, no one's under there to see
'em :-)

Honestly, I use my thumbs on the brake-line sized stuff. I bend really
slowly, working it back and forth, gently adding bend to each side to
get the radius right. It's just too easy to go too fast with the simpler
tools and kink the stuff. It takes most of an hour for me to bend
something like that brake line you have, more than half the time two
pieces, and sometimes more. (I save all the duds in a pile, you can
usaully reuse one end or the other.)

I don't know why there are so many tiny variations on fuel pump/vacuum
pump inlet and outlet positions! It's a bit nuts. You can take the pump
partially apart and rotate the various sections, but now, 50 years
later, you take what you can get!