Re: [Amc-list] Slipping clutch, adjustable? Or transmission shop time?

Bruce Griffis wrote:

> I think we discussed this before, and the clutch adjusts
> automatically, and there is only maybe 1/2" worth of adjustment that
> can be done. Correct me if I'm wrong. If the clutch is adjustable, how
> do I do that? I'd like to see if that helps, before wandering off to a
> transmission shop.

Bad news here... that adjustment is only for free play in the pedal, so
that it doesn't put a constant pressure on the throwout bearing and wear
it out. It doesn't actually adjust the clutch itself, which is
non-adjustable.

If there's free play (eg. you can press the pedal down 1" or so before
you meet resistance) you're done. Likely, if it was tight for long,
you'd head the bearing groan or whine when you lightly press the clutch
pedal.

If it's slipping, the only real choice (besides driving it...) is a new
clutch.

On your car that won't be a major job. Clutch swaps can be done in an
afternoon if you've done one before and you have the parts on hand.  The
worst parts are hefting the trans in and out! It's heavy, and you're on
your back! (I assume you have a driveway, and not a shop and lift!) The
other "tough" part is aligning the clutch disk with the pilot hole --
there's a tool for it but I do it by eye and a trick (but I'm an idiot).

You probably have a 9" clutch. Those are fairly easy to find. Mine was
8" hard to find! Don't cheap out here -- get new pressure plate, driven
disc, throwout bearing.

One more thing may be worth looking at -- the early Americans use a
weird steel and fabric thing that supports (in tension) the inner clutch
linkage pivot. THey are all rotten. BUT! someone's now reproing them.
Galvins etc has 'em. I made one out of sheet steel (wish me luck...) but
  now replacements are available. 64-up may have eliminated them though.
That would be a good thing.

(Twice now, I installed my T-96 by laying on the ground, getting the
trans on my chest, and simply heave-ho -- went right in, flat and smooth.)

PS: Get $15 (or more) worth of quarters and go to one of those wand type
car washes, put it on RINSE, put the wand 1" from the metal, and remove
as much crud as you can from the chassis. You'll get wet and grubby. You
won't regret doing that!