[Amc-list] OT: Battery under water !?

As my son would text HTF or WTF, anyway, how does a lead acid battery completely submerged hold a charge ?!!!
I am completely baffled.
We went down to the lake to clean up from summer, put the dock and waverrunners away etc:
When we arrived we found that "mine" had sunk, again,
So after wrestling it up onto a docking ramp and getting the water out of it.
I pulled the plugs and bumped the starter button and it spun over!
My wife then told me it had done the same last summer when I was not around!
Mind you this was under water long enough that the head had corroded off the bolt!

I always though submerging a battery would kill it.
Not only was this thing still charged, but lake water had entered it completely filling it's cavities!
I ran it down trying to start it last night.
I charged it last night and today, pushing some of the excess water out.
Today I put the best two used plugs in it and after cranking it over for a very long time, it finally started and puked out a bunch of black crud and snot.
  After running it till it warmed up and riding it for a bit it runs like a new one again.

Still can't figure out the battery though!

Now to finish off the weekend, I'm back at work babysitting a rehearsal!  ARG!
I can't get my arm to move much after yesterday and today, oh well at least it'll be plenty sore when I see the doctor in the morning!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV