From: "Bruce Griffis"
Subject: [Amc-list] Was '64, now gas issues in Metro Atlanta
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."

SNIP
> they didn't have the typical 60-80 car turn-out due to high gas prices and shortages all over GA (especially in Atlanta). I didn't have any trouble finding gas Saturday afternoon, only had to wait for one car ahead of me, but all 10 pumps at the station were full with 1-2 cars in line. I passed 5-6 stations with no gas to get there though. That was on the industrial side of town, when coming in we tried to stop about 25 miles before we hit I-285 (coming up I-20 from the east... SC). Only one or two stations had gas and there were long lines -- shades of the 70s!! No limits though. Later on some stations were limiting customers to as little as $20 @ $4.19 a gallon! Gas was hardest to find near residential areas (more people buying). Some people were
>  driving 20-30 miles across town to get gas.

It has not been fun. I gassed up my Rambler Saturday morning - not too
bad. A wait, but it was okay. Rambler didn't run right, so I took my
wife's Toyota to go see the show. Gassed it up that afternoon. Had a
decent wait - maybe 20-25 minutes.

My youngest son had been driving my Corolla and didn't refill it. It
was down to maybe a gallon or two left. I got gas Sunday morning.
There were line jumpers and people weren't quite as even-tempered. The
wait was fairly substantial, about half an hour, and I couldn't
understand how people thought they didn't need to go to the back of
the line. Someone tried to jump me, but I kept my car within a few
inches of the car in front of me.

I called my son to come meet me. I called on the way up, and he
suggested I see if there was gas and then call him if there was. I
figured we should go together. Well, he came up, got in line. Waited
about 20 minutes and they ran out of gas. We drove thirty miles AFTER
that point looking for gas. It was not good Sunday afternoon.

I let him borrow my Corolla today, and I went to gas up his Miata
around 1:30. All of the stations running up to my favorite were out of
gas. I went to the one I like, they were out - expecting diesel, not
sure if they'd get gas today. I let the manager know that I
appreciated how well they did keeping people calm and lining up cars.
That things seemed pretty smooth there, and they were my first choice
since all these gas problems started.

I then went to another station to gas up my son's car. I waited in
line and good 25-30 minutes, then got to my pump. While pumping gas,
at least 7 cars tried to jump the line and sneak behind mine. I told
them (politely) where to go. One did cut in front of me and filled up
his truck and spare plastic gas cans. I couldn't get the attendants
attention to kick him the heck out and back in line. People in the
line were hollering at line jumpers.

I know this is goofy, but if I have to go to that station again, I'm
bringing pepper spray and pepper gel. One guy was using abusive
language and threatening violence - not to me, to someone else. If I
felt in physical danger, I would not hesitate to spray someone and
then call the police.

Yes - there are gas problems in Atlanta. A LOT of stations are running
out. I have not found 89 or 93 octane in my area, only 87. Lines are
long. They can run out while you are waiting. People will line jump
you. People will threaten violence (not many, but some would-be
thugs). It is not funny - and if I knew which political figures to
vent my frustration to, I would (they aren't having these issues up in
Tennessee or over in Alabama, or outside the metro area as far as I
can tell).

Still - it was good to go to the show. It was cool seeing the cars
there. Just wish I had gotten my Rambler running in time.