Re: [Amc-list] Definitive fuel tank fitment

If my tank wasn't so rusty I could retrofit the XJ pump into it or get one for a Dodge Caravan which is self adjusting height and sits on the bottom with sliding rods that allow you to push down the top cap. I have both a YJ tank with pump and sender and a ZJ tank (plus a couple XJ and MJ tanks with pumps) I can rob/cut up for parts. I'd just fill the current tank (after draining all traces of fuel with my hand pump and wiping it dry with a rag on a stick) with soapy water till it overflows (done at a local carwash that has a grease/fuel trap) to clean it, then fill with water before using the dremel. (I vapor test it in a field with a LPG torch on a stick to be sure it won't blow up. 50+ tanks so far and no big bangs since I tried one WITHOUT flushing it out back when I was a kid. The flying through the air trick was VERY short before I landed with a thud and had ringing in my ears plus I couldn't breath!)

From: Tom Jennings
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Definitive fuel tank fitment
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: "Dan Strohl"
> "
> " Jim-
> "
> " For my 4.0L 79 AMX, I actually used an XJ Cherokee fuel tank. The only
> " thing I had to do was relocate the fuel filler to the center rear.
> " Otherwise, it's the exact same shape and size, and if you're swapping to
> " fuel injection, you can still use the stock XJ fuel pump.
>
> this suggests you could've swapped the xj pump into the amx tank.
> possible?

Ooh, good catch!

Does the XJ use the same fuel sender/pickup system as the older AMCs
(and apparently Ford, and many others), and it all fits in the hole?
That would be a hell of a good thing. The pickup tube and float and
lever would have to be changed, but that's a straightforward mechanical
fab task.