Re: [Amc-list] Before and After engine compartment

Re: [Amc-list] Before and After engine compartment

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:35:12 -0700
> From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Before and After engine compartment
> To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>  > The second looks a lot better, but it's
>
>> leaking (maybe thread sealant would fix it).
>>

> Sad to say, the threads are not involved in the seal. The nut only
> presses the flare against the matching "cone" in the female part.

However I have had some success using Teflon tape on the threads if the
fitting is less than perfect.  The Teflon reduces friction and allows
more clamping force.
> If you're using one of those inexpensive flarin tools (I do) that is two
> bars with wingnut clamps, you need to spend a lot of very careful time
> gettin everything PERFECTLY square. What I do is, gently clamp the line
> so it stays in place, but not tighten. THEN clamp the two bars exactly
> parallel with C-clamps. THEN eyeball it carefully to make sure the end
> of the tubing is EXACTLY square with the bars, and check 90 degrees
> apart. Only then tighten the crap out of it. (Mine bows slightly right
> where the tubing is; I use another C-clamp to press the two bars
> together better. THEN when you put the flare tool on, that straddles the
> two bars. Note that if the bars were not made exactly parallel, the cone
> on the flare will be cocked and make a cocked flare.
>
> Practice and experience does help, but it is a very frustrating too.
> ANother option is to get a pre-flared line that's too long, and
> carefully make loops to take up the slack.
>
> I've searched, and found no tool between ther $30 piece of crap and the
> $300 real tools that do everything. I just want to flare brake line!

I have used the hydraulic tool but thought it was tedious,
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=14790&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=14790
I do enjoy using the turret style tool I bought from Eastwood for
~$220.00.