[Amc-list] OBD 1 (not 2) hacking/tuning.... was Re: OBD II Scan tools

d stohler wrote:
> i have an odbI/II hand held reader. i have 4 different cables to hook
> to different cars. i can read regular trouble codes, and also
> manufacture specific codes. can do real time data, freeze frame data,
> and all kinds of good stuff. also has cables you can hook to laptop,
> and you d/l updates online, and update thru laptop/desktop. if you
> have laptop, you can hook it up, while running real time data ( to
> get actual realtime sensor readings) and save it onto your laptop,
> and make charts and print if you like. mine is by AUTOXRAY. i have
> had it since 03. i havent bought the updates for it for several
> years. its a GREAT little tool for what i use it for. any other
> questions about my tool, happy to answer.

Thanks for the info! My problem is that I have this GM TBI computer that
  needs tuning. THere's a lot of information on the web but it's really
confusing -- but the one site I found that cleared up a lot of crap and
detail is the moates' site -- http://www.moates.net

Hardcore hobbiests turned pro, it looks like!

So here's the stor as I know it --

For us old car nuts with carburetors, TBI (throttle body) is a lot
easier to adapt than port injection. The Howell kit, at $1200, is about
the cheapest, but not cheap enough for many of us! But it's a good deal
for a bolt-on kit.

So largely it's a two-part process to adapt "modern" TBI to a carb car:

#1 Fit all the new crap onto the old motor. This is sort-of straightforward.

#2 "Tune" the computer to work with the old motor. This part is a PITA
and not straightforward! But there's a path through the confusion...

#2 is my current problem. There's code readers (for the diagnostics the
GM computer (ECM) pukes out; there's "dataloggers" that collect runtime
data; there's software to modify the tables in the ECM, burners to
permanently change the ECM data... yikes!

But Moates has a $329 package that contains:

* The connector and cable that plugs onto the ECM's ALDL connector.
* An adapter for that cable to connect to the USB port of a laptop.
* Comes with free software that can interpret the ECM data so received
   and modify the ECM data to TUNE! the miserable thing.
* Will EMULATE (below) or BURN a new PROM for making your changes
   "permanent".

You have to provide a Windows laptop computer, but it can be a
thriftstore job, as long as it has a USB port.

So this looks like the CHEAPEST! (Rambler Mentality) approach, hands down.

As a bonus, all this crap sitting on the passenger seat (laptop; little
adapter box; cable to the ALDL connector under the dash) will act as a
"dashboard" for the ECM data in real-time.

I think I'm gonna buy one! News at 11...