Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 OHV Oil Supply (was "return") Line - just use a pre

Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 OHV Oil Supply (was "return") Line - just use a pre-cut brake line?

 From the 1965 American TSM:
"Intermittent lubrication to the valve train is controlled by
metering the flow by volume through the front camshaft bearing.  This
is accomplished by a  groove in the front camshaft journal which
indexes the main oil supply to the camshaft bearing to a drilled
passage at the right front of the crankcase.  From this external
opening, the oil is routed through a fitting and tube assembly
through the drilled passages in the cylinder head, front rocker arm
support block and into the hollow rocker arm shaft (Fig. 48).

"Each rocker arm is drilled to convey oil to the flat machined
surface on top, then to each push rod, valve stem and spring.

"Holes are provided in the cylinder head to return the oil to the
tappet and push rod chamber where it lubricates the push rod seat of
the valve tappets.  The oil in the push rod and tappet chamber drains
back to he oil pan through openings in the cylinder block.

"CAUTION: When installing a new oil pump, or pump has been
disassembled, the pump must be primed by removing relief valve
plunger and filling pump with oil.  This must be done before starting engine."

Note that the intermittent valvetrain lubrication system is first
documented in the 1964 TSM.  As Frank stated, it may have appeared
first in 1963 production.  You can tell which you have by examining
the passenger side of the block, near the front.  If there are two
ports, you have this system.  The upper port is the oil supply for
valvetrain lubrication, and must be connected to the lubrication port
on the head.  The lower port is used to supply oil to the partial
flow oil filter, if equipped.  With the full-flow oil pump, the lower
port is not used, and a plug is installed.  Note that #1 cam bearings
for this system have two holes; one is aligned with the hole in the
main oil gallery passage to the front main bearing, while the second
must be aligned with the valvetrain lubrication port.

If there is only one port (in the main oil gallery), a line was run
to the port in the head, which was fitted with a tee to supply oil to
the partial flow filter.  This can be replaced with an elbow for your
application.

To summarize, there must always be a line from the block to the head
port, as there are no internal passages to conduct oil to the
head.  Use the upper block port if present.  The only change required
to use the oil pump with the full-flow filter is to remove the
partial flow filter and its plumbing (and plug the ports).

--Glen