Re: [Amc-list] Might have to go back to commuting, urgh ....

Re: [Amc-list] Might have to go back to commuting, urgh ....

Commuting sucks!!! But if you gotta do it, a Rambler is best! :-) I mean
hell, it IS an economy car, and you'll have one of the coolest cars on
the road, and it'll be more fun to drive than a plastic econobox.

Frank Swygert wrote:
> If it's a 199/232 car there's no problems at all. A Rambler is no
> heavier than a Hornet or Gremlin and MUCH roomier,

After 1970 they got 150 then 300 lbs heavier just from Federal safety
reinforcement.

A tired, worn out 232 with auto trans will EASILY pull Los Angeles
freeway duty -- I know, because that's what our 72 Hornet did til it got
the rebuilt 258.

> There's nothing wrong with a 196 as a commuter as Tom can attest.

195.6 all worn out with auto trans? Probably a bit nerve-wracking to
keep up with 70mph traffic. But Bruce's has a new head, right? Unless
the rings are total crap it'll be fine.

0 - 60 in 16? or was it 18 seconds. It's slow, but AMC geared mine *just
right*. Performance 45mph - 70mph is just fine, it's subjectively as
good as my Classic wagon -- OK that's no breakneck performer but it has
NO! problem in traffic even when loaded.

Put three, four people in the earlier rambler, and OK, that's a problem!
But keep the junk out of the trunk and one passenger commuting (probably
what it was designed for!) and it's totally fine.

Mine's got OD and the 3.77 axle, I admit. But I drop out of OD maybe
twice on my 45-mile each way trip, so a 3 speed no-OD with correct axle
etc would be equiv. to mine in OD, 'cept you'd have more passing torque
in top gear.

Yours is 65, right? That's probably more like my Hornet than the older
Rambler! 65 should be a "modern" car, even with the 195.6OHV.