Re: [Amc-list] Progress, sort of

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Call your local Vo-tech school.
> They usually have adult evening classes in things like this.

Yeah, CC's get overlooked all the time!

As soon as I can sked it, I'm gonna take that Pasadena guy's metal
bumping class. Probably January. That's the "last frontier" for me, it's
the one thing that totally baffles me and that I 100% screw up every time.

>     My next thing if I feel up to it is too learn tig.

Yeah, with that, you're done! Pretty much all car crap you can do!

My father welded up an all-stainless-steel sheet metal gas tank for his
hot rod with the little 130 amp Lincoln I have now, just MIG. It came
out very nice, but I'm glad I wasn't there to hear all his swearing and
wrench-throwing.

> Not, sure I will attempt it though as my shoulder is not exactly liking this.

Make up a elasticy-y sling for your arm to bear some load? Think The
Road Warrior... stick a weapon in that torn-off arm socket!

>    My welder is a cheapy from a pro standard, but it does a good job with fully adjustable power and feed rates.

What's that line from Dirty Mary Crazy Larry or whatever it was called?
(Great car-chase movie!)

"It ain't the car that's hot, it's the driver."

Technique matters, but there are limits... My UNBELIEVABLE cheapskate
boss made me buy the crappest Harbor Freight 120 amp welder. Came
without a gas regulator! When I went back to get one, it leaked! Man I
hate that place...

After 15 minutes of welding, with the current set to MAXIMUM and the
wire feed set to about 0.75 (less than 1 out of it's "1 - 10" knob) and
the thermal-overload popped, he agreed that it was a total P.O.S. It
didn't even have a fan in it!

So I mail-ordered a Lincoln 180 amp the same day!

(The POS HF unit though, with less current, made a very sweet but small
bead, I was able to write my name like an ink pen. It would probably be
OK for auto sheet metal work, probably it's target audience. But the
crazy-fast wire feed is odd.)