[Amc-list] Might have to go back to commuting, urgh ....

[Amc-list] Might have to go back to commuting, urgh ....

Okay, I've been telecommuting for the past seven years or so. Was able
to work full time while helping homeschool the kids or get them to
group classes thanks to a flexible work schedule and results-oriented
management. It has worked out well. I was able to balance work, three
beagles, homeschooling (and now online schooling for my youngest son
through the Georgia Virtual Academy), and shopping and cooking. My
wife is disabled, has muscular dystrophy - she works an office job,
but does not have the stamina to do grocery shopping, cooking or
cleanup.

Well, looks like a major change. We got bought out by a different
company, and there have been talks of going in to the office since we
were bought. That time starts next month. I know where the office is,
it's near where I used to work before starting telecommuting. Not too
bad, maybe 45 minutes with no traffic, an hour and ten or so on
surface roads with traffic. No complaints, I'm glad to have a job in
this economy, and the company I work for is a good company. Just, ...
different.

So, with a son working full time and in college, he has his car. My
middle son starts college in October. He'll use my 'Rolla. My wife
works (although they are downsizing and that might stop soon). If she
continues working, she needs her car, if not - I don't want to put
those miles on the Highlander. Heck, if she gets downsized, just where
does a woman in her early 50's with a serious physical disability get
a job?

So - it's time to get the Rambler in shape to be a commuter car. Not
sure if it's a good choice, or if I should look for a Gremlin, Hornet
or Concord (or gasp! a newer disposable commuter car!). Also not sure
about my kid doing online school. Either back to brick and mortar
school, or my wife may decide to stop working and keep him on track.
We pulled him out for good reasons, and those reasons haven't changed.

Guys, I'm not looking forward to it - but on the other hand, I am. I'm
sure I'll need to buy maybe some long pants and shoes. And socks. I
think offices make you wear shoes and probably don't go for the
shorts, lol. Hmmmm, maybe the t-shirts have to go. I hope they have a
gym or folks for a lunch time walk! I need to change my potato-ish
shape for more of a green bean shape.

Maybe I'll go completely retro and look for dark pants, white shirt
and black tie. Go for Buddy Holly glasses. Oh well, time to get my
fill of Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis and Coltrane while I can. Tom J
- I know you commute with your '63 American. If that can make it, then
my '65 should do just fine.

Bruce, spiraling down into Dilbert-ville. No radio in the car, time to
start filling up an IPod. Maybe I'll start with Herb Alpert. Heck, how
do you commute, work, get home, cook and serve? Got too many things to
figure out.