Re: [Amc-list] stuff to do with old cars... California Melee

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:53:10 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

I can help with the American suspension Tom! For starters, nix the sway bar. It only helps in really hard turns. The spring-directly-over-steering-knuckle design is VERY roll resistant, that's why none of the early AMCs used a sway bar. What you need is STIFFER SPRINGS!! I had 10-15% stiffer progressive rate springs (from www.coilsprings.com -- forget whether I ordered 10% or 15% stiffer now) made for my 63 American sedan and that made a VAST improvement! Since they were progressive ride didn't suffer. Ran 195/65R15 Bridgestones on "slot" type 7" wide wheels. On the rear all I did was add a "half leaf" overload spring (clamps to long rear portion of spring). Needed to replace the spring bushings, but sold the car before I got around to that. I also used gas charged shocks on fabbed adapters (that kept spacing between he lower arms correct!). Several ways to make those. Since the shock eye bushings are now available from Galvins, I'd just use a piece of tubing or the end of an
  old shock with a flat piece welded on and tapped to take a late model AMC shock -- they type with a flat bar on the bottom. Bolt the new eye piece on and you have an old style shock!

If I were prepping an American for rallying, I'd go with 15% stiffer progressive spring at least 1/2" shorter than stock (1" should be good). I installed a sway bar, but you couldn't tell it was there... would forego that. Convert to good gas shocks on the front and rear. Use aluminum or bronze bushings in the front spring eye and convert to sliders in the rear (http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/lespsl.html). That should effectively lower the rear an inch -- may have to put a spacer between the slider and "frame" rail. This prevents a lot of sideways movement and bind. Either replace the rear leafs with 10% stiffer or use the half-leaf overload spring. I prefer to use the overload spring if you find the type with three settings. It just has a big river that you either don't use or use in two different locations to change the leverage applied. I used it without the rivet and it was perfect.

Those big fog/off road lights need to be mounted above the bumper on the old American. That would give it the correct vintage look!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"