Re: [Amc-list] stuff to do with old cars... California Melee

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> That looks like a lot of fun!
>
> Heck - looks like old cars, good roads and honest road-food
> restaurants. What could be better than that?

Well I could do with better food... :-) (OK I'm a food snob.)

But yeah! I liked auto-cross, but it got too serious; I like the *idea*
of rallies, but they got WAY too serious, with the top competitors the
same year after year and the spreads all under a minute... too uptight
for me!

LeMons was a revolution for me. There's a Least Coast version now of that.

The thing about these Left Coast events is, they're not brand nazis.
Cars is cars! Most people I've met anywhere near this stuff basically
like cars, especially cars that are unique, or interesting, or are
personalized, hacked, modified, driven to hell, or just plain weird.
Underdogs are *especially* appreciated, a very American trait that I
thought was disappearing, but it's definitely not, in this crowd.

Not that people don't have their fanatical car obsessions, but they tend
to not project it outward to mean 'my brand good your brand suck'. It
helps when brand C and brand F are in the minority too!

The hot rod and muscle car crowd I've found to be the narrowest, not
really interested outside their own. I don't know when this started, but
it was in place when I was in high school certainly (early 1970's).

Clearly the delineation #1 Chevy #2 Ford #3 Chrysler #(nothing else
exists or is crap) could only have existed after the 1950's, because
there were at least other makes then!!