Re: [Amc-list] T-96 woes... (factory t5 lubricant)

Re: [Amc-list] T-96 woes... (factory t5 lubricant)

I have the technical bulletins in the 77-82 bound volume.

In fact, this was the subject of a recall.  Campaign number 8207,
NHTSA number 82V-126.  It covers Kenosha-built Concord, Spirit, and
Eagle models with either the T4 or T5 transmission, vin
1xxxxxxxxxx100019 through 1xxxxxxxxxx723607.

Technical Bulletin 2-05-82, dated 11 Nov 1982, changes the lubricant
specification for T4 and T5 transmissions from Dexron II to SAE
80W-90 or 85W-90 API Grade GL-5 gear lubricant and lists fill
capacities for in-service refills and dry fills.  It also changes the
lubricant specification for the Model 129 transfer case from 10W-30
motor oil to Dexron II.  This bulletin supercedes bulletins 2-01-82
and 2-03-82, which are not included in the bound volume.

Technical Bulletin 2-06-82, dated 3 Jan 1983, covers the recall
campaign and includes a copy of the letter sent to vehicle
owners.  The instruction is to drain and replace the fluid, and to
paint the drain plug red to indicate that the fluid had been changed
under the recall campaign.  Curiously, it introduces a new part
number, 8983 000 000, for the transmission lubricant to be used only
in T4/T5 transmissions.

--Glen