Re: [Amc-list] T-96 woes...

Frank Swygert wrote:
> I had a similar problem when I first mated a T-96 to my 4.6L. The crank was from a 74 258 with auto trans. But mine wouldn't disengage! Turns out the pilot hole on the later engine isn't quite as deep as the one on the 63 196 the trans came from. I trimmed about 1/8" off the end of the input shaft with a cut-off wheel, tapered it with a grinder, and it worked great.
>
> I'm wondering if maybe the pilot hole in your crank is deep enough that the clutch will disengage, but shallow enough to put a bit of pressure on the end of the input shaft? I'd think there would be some signs of heat and/or rubbing on the end  if that's the case though. Just a thought...

But this is the trans that came out of the car in the first place. All
hard parts exactly the same and exactly what came our of the car except
clutch. Same bell, etc.

I'm gonna check depth, because it's easy. But I can see the crank
through all the clutch and bell junk, there's no nut or whatever in the
hole blocking it out...