Re: [Amc-list] 1966 Classic brake drum weights???

I wouldn't remove them either! Check fit a wheel, the weights may not interfere with fit. If they do use a spacer. You can usually run a 1/4" spacer without worrying about the length of the studs (should get a full nut on them) or the tire hitting the wheel well edge. Of course that depends on just how wide the wheels and tires are. Most pre 67 cars will only take a 7" rim and a 215 tire (205 works better for most!). You might be okay with an 8" rim if a 205 or 215 fits, but 8" is a bit wide for that size tire.

-----------
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 08:07:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

" From: Joe <jgray_55@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Guys. I want to install some cragar SS  i have onto my 66 Classic
" wagon. Rear drums are fine of course.The PROBLEM area is.....one
" front drum is fine, other one has THREE big weights welded on the
" outer rim of the face? Never seen a drum with that many weights on
" it before? Why would a drum need three weights? Would it hurt to
" knock them off? Thanks alot,Joe

i would assume they're there for the same reason you put weights on a
wheel, to balance it.  it follows that you shouldn't remove them.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"