[Amc-list] close to OT but in season... :-)

[Amc-list] close to OT but in season... :-)

Rambler content: campers small enough to be towed by even the smallest
AMC, and keeping with RM (Rambler Mentality):

I toyed with the idea of making my own camper from a generic trailer kit
(I have one, a harbor fright unit that I'm actually quite happy with --
$150!). What I was thinking of sounds laughable, but it's based upon a
quick and cheap structure we've used for three years now on the Black
Rock desert playa and has survived 70 mph sand storms: a "quonset hut"
made from stressed PVC hoops. (THere are clever but simple tricks that
make it work.) To apply to a travel trailer would basically be... a
conestoga wagon! Trailer with flat platform and storage underneath, set
up the hoops and tarp on top. I trimmed the PVC such that in-stock tarps
fit.

http://wps.com/BM/PVC-Quonset-Hut-assembly

But someone beat me to it in concept:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_RVs-Campers__Tentrax-off-road-tent-trailer_W0QQitemZ250289075869QQadnZRVsQ20Q26Q20CampersQQadiZ2799QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250289075869&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A1|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Now THAT could be towed by an L-head American with auto trans! $4K
doesn't fit RM though. Very cute though! Would make a nice homebrew
project idea on a HF trailer.

(PS: if you are considering a small general purpose trailer, the harbor
fright trailers are a mixed bag. I bough the "1200 lb" capacity trailer
because it comes with 12" wheels and real tires and leaf springs. I put
expanded metal as a floor and made a simple stakebed for it; with a 4' x
4' sheet of plywood it would easily handle an AMC engine dropped on it,
but 1200 actual American pounds?! No freakin' way! With discounts I paid
I think $150 or less. I spent time with a tape measure and string to get
it really square before I tightened it up (it's a kit), and took the
wheels off and repacked the bearings with quality grease. I've hauled it
  2500 or so miles only, but at 65 mph. Bearings haven't got warm yet.)