Re: [Amc-list] T-96 woes (again)

Armand Eshleman wrote:
> The rebuild kit I bought for the T5 in the Javelin came with three or four
> of those "thrust washers". None of them allowed for the correct amount of
> end play the T5 needed. I took the washers to the local machine shop and
> they surface ground one of them so I could assemble it with another one and
> end up with the correct end play. I used I dial indicator to determine the
> end play needed. So far the T5 works great. (crossed his fingers here).
>
> Is this what you should have done during the assembly of the T96?

Grumble, don't rub it in :-)

Yep, and now I get to do it after! Emailing Frank I think he's right,
one of the little spring-loaded dogs fell out, the synchro is spinning,
and it's a crap shot where they land when the fall out -- like jam the
slider so it's stuck in 2 or 3. So I won't drive it til I yank it and look.

The shimming itself isn't that hard (like you did, dial indicator and
pry-load the stack one way then the other, determine optimum and
buy/make shim).