Re: [Amc-list] T-96 woes (again)

Frank Swygert wrote:
> Having worked on those things, I'm with you -- stack clearance seems
> to be a bit more critical than one would believe! That's the only
> thing I can think of that would make much difference -- unless the
> parts themselves are inferior grade materials.

yeah, I eyeballed the clearances, but didn't go the last mile -- which
is a PITA because you need to disassemble and exchange thrust washers of
different thicknesses. Easy -- if you are Borg Warner. Not easy, poor
schmuck in a home shop 50 years later. But I should have done it
(probably, obviously).

Parts were all Borg Warner NOS, cept bearings and seals, quality was not
my problem.

> Time to look for a T-14 with OD, or even a T-86 from behind a 232
> (V-8 model would have too long an input shaft). Might have to custom
> make a drive shaft, but that's no big deal. Then you could keep the
> Twin-Stick.

Well, I will fix this trans. It's immaculate otherwise, and since it
shifts smoothly otherwise, makes zero noise, doesn't leak, etc it's
otherwise as good as new. Just a PITA!!!

> If you have to ditch the BW OD, maybe think about a T-4 instead of a
> T-5. Darn! I keep forgetting those things have internal rail
> shifters!!

Depends on whether the shifter comes up in the middle of the seat. Car's
so small inside, it for sure won't appear under the dashboard!

> Maybe a 80s Ford four speed with OD fourth -- might fit
> the bell housing.

I'm on (but inactive) on a Ford six forum, those peeps would know what
transmissions would fit in the Ford T-96 hole, I bet. I'm sure they love
the T-96 as much as we do.

I hate to lose the Twin Stick though!