[Amc-list] AL engine in Classic or American???

[Amc-list] AL engine in Classic or American???

The AL engine will fit all the Classics! I think you meant American
though. After looking at Tom's photos I think the AL engine will fit the
58-63 American with somewhere around 1/2"-1" clearance between the rail
and pump/filter. Lucky for you the filter is horizontal instead of
vertical like on the iron engine!  IIRC there's about a 30 pound savings
with the AL block. Everything else is still cast iron, remember!
Aluminum could be used with a permanent steel mold (die casting) and
cost less to machine, those were the real savings for AMC! The only
thing they stated about the weight savings was that the car would turn a
lot easier, so you didn't really "need" power steering with it. No real
gas savings or anything like that.

I doubt anyone was offended that you addressed Tom and I specifically.
Others do on occasion!
Also, neither of us would be offended if someone else answered the
question even though it was directed at us. I certainly jump in if I
know the answer if someone specifically asks another person. It's like
we're all standing around talking about the same subject and you look to
your left while asking a question and I'm standing on your right and
know the answer. I'd certainly give the other guy a few seconds to
answer, but if it sounded like he was unsure..." excuse me, but I know
that answer!".  Since there is sometimes days between people reading the
list, I don't think it's rude to jump in if you know. The good thing is
you're not butting in or cutting anyone off if you do on the list, might
be if it were in person!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"