[Amc-list] misc. AMC six notes

As I mentioned I just rebuilt the head on my 1970 232ci, the open
chamber head. It's all running fine now. Just some minor notes on stuff.

So after the head was cleaned and assembled, I noticed that the chambers
  on the 1970 are basically crap. There's a lump, about 1/2" diameter,
3/32" high, rough cast iron, right between the plug and valves. It looks
like a casting sprue, but it's not (not cut/ground). ALl cylinders have
it the same. It has rounded edges, but it looks like a nice place to
form a hot spot. Weird.

So basically I'm just gonna run dead-stock timing, 5, 6 BTDC and drive it.

My water pump made a "bad noise" at idle, like a rattle of a dry
journal, so I replaced it. It's silent now, though the old one seems
tight and did not leak. Easier now than later! I'll get this one rebuilt
as a spare.

I took the opportunity to flush the system. It was pretty clean to begin
with, just a bit of rusty sediment in the pail I drained the juice into.
Used "quick flush" cleaner then two hot back-flushes.

No more antifreeze. This car hasn't seen 32F for three years! If I take
a winter trip I'll swap out some juice for antifreeze then. I forgot to
buy distilled water, so I used hose water. Eh.

Instead, I'm running 100% water, "water wetter" and anti-corrosion
additive. I installed a plastic Flex-O-Lite fan (will look for electrics
next time I go to the junkyard) and a Mr. Gasket high-flow 195F
thermostat. "Stock" replacement 2-row radiator is in fine shape, new in
1995.

In late August I'll be hauling three people, a trailer full of gear for
10 days of dry lake camping, up Highway 395, through 7000 foot altitude,
600 miles. That always tests the cooling system!