Re: [Amc-list] A/C on a 64 Classic

Tom Jennings wrote:
> Thomas Garner wrote:
>> Did the 64 Classic with 232 engine have A/C as an option? Does A/C rob it of much power if I put it on mine?

Ididn't even answer your question...

When my compressor kicks on, I can feel it! I have not does with/without
tests, but it doesn't ruin mileage, but I'm sure it lowers it. 1, 2 mpg?

I have a 1970 motor in the 63 car. Same accessory setup as 64 I think.

I used an '80's bracket, that puts the compressor on the passenger side.
The 80's brackets are a big stack of complicated aluminum castings that
puts the alternator under the compressor. I didn't do that part. The
80's part will be a lot easier to find.

THERES ONE CATCH! The 1981? A/C compressor bracket has three bolt holes;
two line up just fine with the 1970 head. Bolts on! But the lower one
does not match the block. The boss there moved downward (or the head
moved upward). For that, I hacksawed the ear down to clear, so the
bracket sits flat, and the block boss lays under the bracket. I
triangulated a mark on the back of the bracket to drill the hole.

The hole ends up in the middle of some cast-in  bracing. Simply hacksaw
it off, file it flat, and drill the hole. It's not as invasive as it
sounds, and you could do the whole job with trivial hand tools. The
lower ear just braces the bracket to the block, the two uppers handle
the load.

(There's always more, huh...)

I just realized that (1) I have a web page for this conversion but (2)
I'd never finished it. I'll put these posts in there.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/AC/index.html

TO put a belt on it was a bit of a project, but would be easy to do now
that it's done! There's a belt idler/tensioner that you get from an 80's
car that bolts onto the front two head bolts. Sigh, you gotta pull the
fron thead bolt out to install one with a stud end. Get that from the
donor.

The belt doesn't clear the upper radiator hose. So I found a new hose
that looks like a ? and clears fine. It's worked great for 3 years now.