Re: [Amc-list] Vibration in '63 American 440-H

farna@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I don't know why the engine always has an oil mist in it, but that would be why it uses a bit of oil at higher rpm. I had mine rebuilt and it still used a bit of oil at higher speeds. Will be interesting to see what your oil use is! When I was driving my old 63 American daily I made at least one long trip every year (over 12 hours on the road... usually 18 hours from Warner Robins GA to Elgin, IL, just west of Chicago). Cruising around 70-75 most of the way used around a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Driving around town and on shorter trips it used a quart every 1300-1600, depending on how much high speed driving was done.

Well, certainly part of it is because it's leaky. The car leaves small
puddles under the rear seal, and a bit around th eoil pan. Nothing serious.

80% of my driving is 60mph highway cruise, steady 2300 rpm plus/minus.
Not exactly "high speed" but I think this motor tosses a lot of oil in
the air in the pan. The mist is quite fine and aerosol.

It uses about 1 - 1.5 quarts between oil changes. The plugs are
absolutely deposit-free, so it's not burning oil at any rate; on par
with a 70's/80's engine.

I run 10W-30 "high mileage" oil, change religiously at 3000 (232/258 I
change at 5000, the Hornet now 10,000 with fancy oil) and filter every
other (bypass filter).

> When you mentioned "learning how to drive it" all I could think was that's an understatement! People jump in old cars and expect them to be like newer ones, and they just aren't. You need a 64 or newer AMC with at least a 232 to not be disappointed if you expect it to drive sort of like a modern car. The older ones drive more like 40s and 50s cars, not even 60s though they were made then. Remember, a 63 American is a slightly updated 1950 Nash Rambler (mainly bigger engine, but close to the same old design that first appeared in 40 as a low cost economy engine), and a 62 Classic/Ambo is a slightly updated 1956 Nash/Hudson Rambler (first year of the "big" car, no small car for 56 & 57).

Yeah, and I drive "old" cars exclusively!! 1970 is NEW to me! And yet,
this car is OLD! Much different than the 63 Classic, which is pretty
much a modern car.

I'm not fussy or delicate, or easily upset, or whatever, but I really
feel like it took me months to really learn how to drive this thing
effectively. I mean I made it go just fine the first 10 minutes, but all
these months later I feel much much more able to do pretty much anything
with it. It's a matter of finesse or something. It's gutless in a modern
sense but somehow, driving technique overcomes in a practical sense.