Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:13:55 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Vibration in '63 American 440-H
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm revving to 3500 before upshift (was keeping it to 3000), shifting
faster, and pushing through traffic more. It's not fast, but it's
actually pretty nimble -- the way it's geared it's weakest in the first
to second gear range, right where all the little Hondas are winding up
into 2nd or 3rd the 195.6+T96 is strugging to get into the "power" (sic)
band. But once you're above 2000 in 2nd it's fine. And it's surprisingly
fine in top gear at 50 - 70 -- push that button on the shifter and it
passes just fine, and torque at 2500 in 3+OD is adequate especially with
enough spark!

I think people are afraid of this engine, it's pretty gutless if you
live with V8s or 258's but it pulls great. The head-torque thing is so
stupidly easy and quick it's not even a problem. Frank suggests every
two years, but I'm driving about 10K miles a year (8000+ since Nov07) so
I'll do it twice a year.

It's an old-fashioned motor, it's always got a mist of oil in the engine
compartment somehow. Nothing serious. OK mine's fairly old, but still,
the filler tube is the old fashioned breather type, and they made it 24"
tall for a reason. It's got PCV, not road draft.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"