Re: [Amc-list] Vibration in '63 American 440-H

Re: [Amc-list] Vibration in '63 American 440-H

AS Tom J. said it could be related to a bent wheel,
worn u-joint of some other driveline problem.

I chased a vibration in my 77 Gremlin and found at
least two causes.  Both "fixes" helped some and now
the vibration (at 55 to 65 mph) is almost gone.

There was a bent wheel on the rear, which I replaced.
The driveshaft was also professionally balanced in a
local driveline shop.  At the same time, the shop
replaced the rear u-joint.

On another car (80 AMC Spirit) relacing a bent
flexplate helped solve a driveline vibration.

You can easily check for a bent wheel by jacking up
the car and putting a fixed pointer (or dial
indicator) on/near the edge of the rim and watch for
in/out movement (runout) as you rotate the wheel.

If you suspect the driveshaft is out of balance, I
suggest you have it balanced professionally, although
some of the later TSMs explain how to mark a low spot
and balance it with radiator hose clamps.

Joe Fulton