Re: [Amc-list] to buy or not to buy

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" Hey, I've got a '59 195.6ohv engine with the auto crank here. I have an
" early 232 flywheel that I personally verified fits onto the back of a
" manual 195.6OHV, in the car. I have two junk clutches, the 9" and 10".
" Plus I have an early auto flexplate. PLUS! I have a 232 that has the
" exact same crank butt as the 195.6OHV manual.

that definitely solves the clutch problem for anyone contemplating a
turbo 196! the '64-'71 flywheel is drilled/tapped for the 10.5" clutch
pattern as well as the 9.125" the 196 has.

i can personally attest that the '70s hd 10" clutch works on a '66
199, but for b&b style you need a real 10" pp like the perfection
ca1864; a 10.5" like most brands sub -will-not-work- - ask me how i
know...  diaphragm pp are lower in profile and probably  have no
clearance problems, but pedal travel -- the 10" b&b is right at the
limit and needs a little care in clutch adjustment to work right.
dunno if diaphragm types tend to need more travel or less.

perfection ca1897 is the amc 10"/10.5" diaphragm pp.

just checked - the 10" perfection ca1525 that fits the 9.125" pattern
was used as late as '87 in slant-six mopar vans.  it was also used on
'66-7 273s so it should be good for some torque.

10" disk for a t96/t14 would be a perfection rcf446 or equiv.